Are you looking for the best ways to organize your kitchen? You’re not the only one searching for the answer to this question. After all, 70% of Americans prepare food in their homes, and having a well-organized kitchen has enormous benefits for you and your guests.
Kitchens are one of the most important rooms in your home. They have evolved beyond their traditional function as the food preparation zone. Among other things, an organized kitchen makes your life easier and safer.
Why Are Kitchens Important?
An organized and well-maintained kitchen will serve you and your guests for decades. Regardless of their size and design, kitchens have several benefits, including:
- Speaks about your style: People get a sense of a person or a family based on how their kitchens look. We have elevated kitchens beyond their traditional role of meal preparation. Kitchens are now reflective of a person’s tastes.
- Creates a meeting space for families: Many modern homes have multipurpose kitchens. Families, guests and friends often meet in the kitchen to chat or share fun memories. People host visitors in the kitchen during events as the main or additional gathering area for the celebration. The size of the kitchen usually plays a key role. But it’ll surprise you how many people a well-organized kitchen can contain, even if small.
- Offers a storage hub: Storage is one of the key functions of kitchens. Cooking requires a lot of items, and your kitchen serves as the main storage facility for these things. It’s then important to learn ways of improving your kitchen storage.
- Acts as the heart of the home: It’s true when they say the way to the heart is through the stomach. Food brings people together. For both the person cooking the meal and the mouths the food feeds, the kitchen is where the magic happens. So, if you intend to cast a spell with your culinary skills, prepare the heart of your home — the kitchen — to ensure you achieve the end goal.
What Are the Benefits of an Organized Kitchen?
There are several benefits to keeping a neat, clean and well-organized kitchen. Whether you’re baking, frying, grilling or sauteing, an orderly kitchen helps you be an even better cook. Here is a list of a few of such benefits:
- Safety: Keep all your sharp knives in one place in an organized kitchen without worrying about accidentally finding one in a drawer the hard way.
- More storage space: Using kitchen organization tips lets you declutter your drawers and cabinets to maximize the storage space you already have.
- Efficiency: When your kitchen is organized, you know where everything is, meaning no searching through every cabinet to find one ingredient or utensil.
- Aesthetics: Clear cluttered counters and gain aesthetically pleasing, well-organized spaces throughout your kitchen.
- Money savings: An organized kitchen gives you a better idea of the ingredients and tools you already own. You won’t end up accidentally buying duplicates and spending money you didn’t need to.
- Stress reduction: When you save time and money, you save yourself the stress. Walking into an organized space can be more calming than walking into a chaotic one.
- Easy cleaning: You won’t need to shuffle items around when you’re cleaning an organized kitchen — everything will already be in its proper space.
- Enjoyment of cooking: Regain a love of cooking in an organized kitchen, where everything is orderly and easy to find.
6 Tips to Keep Your Kitchen Organized
Here are some tips for an organized kitchen to help you secure that functional, safe and aesthetically clean space you dream of:
1. Keep Your Essentials Front and Center
Every kitchen has certain housewares you use more often than others. When arranging your items, keep the ones you regularly use within arm’s reach. Such utensils and items can include pans, ladles, knives, spoons, forks, plates, paper towels and whatever else you use every time you cook.
Arrange the next important items closer to the most essential. Follow that order until you arrange the housewares in a somewhat hierarchical way. That way, you don’t face the challenge of jumping hurdles to access a common measuring cup.
2. Declutter Your Drawers
Talking about jumping hurdles, maintaining orderly drawers reduces the stress of summoning a search party. Drawers are primary storage spaces in the kitchen, so keep them simple and tidy.
Store your essentials in the drawers closest to you. Remove spare items and keep them elsewhere. Make it easy to see and reach things you often need. Ladles and spatulas can go in the drawers near your stove, for instance, while measuring utensils can go near your pantry or fridge.
3. Clean out Your Fridge and Add Clear Bins
Clean your fridge regularly and discard expired and unwanted products. This helps you to create space for the things you prioritize.
Sort out the shelves in your fridge and group items together. You can also use clear containers to keep your fruits, vegetables and other edibles organized. Then, label the items in the bins to make identification easier.
4. Install Recessed Niches
You’ve probably seen those beautiful shelves built within walls in modern kitchens. Those fittings are called recessed niches. Recessed niches decorate your kitchen and provide a great alternative to keeping it organized. They offer additional storage areas for your home.
Niches allow you to display valuable items, making them easily accessible. Put your mug collection or stemware on display, or use a niche by your stove to keep all your spices close as you cook.
You can have your recessed niches customized to your taste, with multiple available designs and sizes, to serve you well and match with the rest of your kitchen. The customization may include various paint and stain options, building LED lighting in the niche or picking from a myriad of accessible frames.
Recessed niches are also available in different materials, though wooden recessed niches provide a sleek, unique feel for your kitchen. When choosing the wooden option, use solid wood to ensure durability and longevity.
5. Optimize Your Wall-Mounted Wood Pantry Cabinets
Another great tip for organizing your kitchen is installing wall-mounted wood pantry cabinets. With wall-mounted cabinets, you can add extra storage space for your food items, linens, dishes and other products.
There are instances where your drawers may be full or accessing them isn’t practical or convenient. Wall-mounted wood pantry cabinets are an alternate unit for adding to your kitchen space. They are simple and attractive, too.
Wall-mounted wood pantry cabinets come in varying shapes, sizes and designs. Choose the option that best suits your already existing or newly built kitchen. Select a durable option with high-quality wood to ensure longevity, and organize your kitchen with future generations in mind.
You have a variety of options for customizing the unit. These include:
- Diverse door choices for the cabinets
- Wide option of frame designs
- LED lighting customization
- Hinge restrictor clips
- Variety of paint and stain choices
6. Invest in On-The-Wall Spice Racks
On-the-wall spice racks save more space than freestanding ones. Many kitchen walls are free. You can use your wall as an additional storage space to free up a cabinet or drawer.
Mount a rack on the wall to keep bottles for your spices and seasoning. Position the cabinet in a spot with accessibility in mind. Also, place the rack strategically to prevent spice jars from falling easily. For another kitchen organization hack, get the same type of containers or jars to transfer your spices into and label them in a way that suits your style.
A wooden option allows you to customize the spice rack. WG Wood Products has a wide range of on-the-wall wooden spice racks with the option to modify the unit.
Shop Kitchen Organization Solutions From WG Wood Products
WG Wood Products has over 20 years of experience in designing and manufacturing wooden fittings for homes. We provide free customization and shipping for all our customers. We pride ourselves on using quality, solid wood for our made-in-the-USA products that give your home a unique feel.
Learn more about WG Wood Products today and contact us for your kitchen organization solutions.